community for over 45 years.
Welcome Back to School!
Here's to a Great Beginning to a Great School Year!
Save the Date: 2016 UTIT End of Year Party June 9th!
Pension & Retirement Education Program (PREP)
Schedule | Making a Reservation | Directions to Sites
Many retirees wish they began focusing on financial and retirement planning much earlier in their lives. The truth is: No matter how far along you are in your career, careful financial and retirement planning are critical.
NYSTRS' Pension & Retirement Education Program (PREP) is designed to help members of all ages prepare for retirement. PREP is structured to allow you to tailor the program to fit your needs. Stay for the entire seminar (see the full agenda) or just the modules below that would be of greatest significance to you:
- NYSTRS Benefits: Your pension, disability coverage, loans, vesting, death benefits. (8:45-10 a.m.)
- Financial Planning: Saving early, catching up, withdrawals, financial advisors. (10:15-10:45 a.m.)
- Social Security: Benefits, eligibility rules, when to collect, earning limits. (10:45-11:20 a.m.)
- Estate Planning: Wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care proxies, living wills, long-term care. (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)
- Retirement—A New Beginning: Planning ahead, staying active and healthy, relationships, relocating. (1:30-2:30 p.m.)
- Filing for Retirement: Retirement options, "resigning" vs. "retiring," choosing a retirement date, retirement checklist. (2:40-3:15 p.m.)
- Retirement Income: Monthly payments, taxes, earning limitations on NYS public employment. (3:15-3:30 p.m.)
Watch our PREP video to learn how NYSTRS can PREP you for retirement. You may also print the PREP poster and brochure.
Seminars are held from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with registration beginning at 8 a.m. There is no fee to attend and your spouse/companion is welcome to attend, but you must make a reservation in advance. (Note: These seminars are not designed for individual retirement counseling.)
Directions to PREP Sites
This chart indicates when the schedules of other seasonal programs will be posted here.
October – December
February – May
July – August
Making a Reservation
There are two ways to make a reservation:
- Online using your MyNYSTRS account. After logging into your account, select the "My Tools" tab and then "Schedule Appointments."
- By calling NYSTRS at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6180 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. Please provide your:
- NYSTRS EmplID or Social Security number;
- Date of birth; and,
- Home address and telephone number.
If your spouse/companion is attending and is also a member, please have the above information available for him/her as well
Please bring your most-recent Benefit Profile to the seminar. For the most up-to-date estimate of your retirement benefits, use our online MyNYSTRS Pension Estimator. This tool allows you to create estimates using various retirement dates.
If you make a reservation and subsequently cannot attend, please cancel by calling the number above or via your MyNYSTRS account so your place can be made available to another member.
For NYSUT Member Benefit Information visit the link below:
See Tech Tips Page for info and tips on Google Docs!
On-Line Resources from TeAchnology:
How to Study
Help students learn to study well. We offer a number of great resources.
View Study Skills
Great printable graphic organizers for all subjects and grade levels!